IT… it’s a wide field to both study and work in and you may be feeling confused about where it could take you. The good news is an apprenticeship in IT will provide you with a foundation of skills to make that decision whilst you progress within a business. For now though the important question you should be asking yourself is are you suited to an apprenticeship in IT?
You must posses certain character traits to come across as an effective and successful IT worker. Only yourself will know if you possess such traits and if you wish to develop them further. If you don’t possess them all then don’t worry, the whole point of an apprenticeship is to bring you out of your shell and develop both your skills and your character, resulting in you becoming a confident and skilled employee for either a current employer or potential future employers.
So what are these traits that we’ve mentioned so much? We’re glad you asked…
- You must have an interest in IT for example the use of or repair of computers and equipment
- You’ll need to be a good listener to obtain a clear understanding of what the user requires and meets the needs to produce the end system
- Technology shouldn’t scare you, you should be keen to find solutions to problems
- You should be prepared to work in an industry that is always evolving which will require you to update your skills continuously
- You must enjoy both working in a team and sometimes on your own
- You must be able to work under pressure
- IT jobs may require you to work with sensitive data so you need to be trustworthy
Gone are the days where anything to do with ICT was considered "geeky". ICT is absolutely everywhere, from cash machines to bus-stops and it's a sector that's constantly getting bigger. So, are you ready to launch an exciting career with massive potential for progression? If so, don’t hesitate to contact one of our friendly advisors!
Go back to blog listings >